The income tax dept has started sending refund cheques to the assessessees directly through State Bank of India from Jan 2007. This is applicable to non-corporate assessees only. Refunds are made in two modes.
- ECS : This mode will be used when assessees have given the MICR , SB account details and communication address in the income tax return forms properly.
- Paper: Cheques will be sent directly to the assessees when they have not opted for ECS mode. For this proper bank account no., correct address are mandatory. Any one who wants to know/tract the status of his refund from dept can visit departmental website www.incometaxindia.gov.in or depository website NSDL www.tin-nsdl.com by clicking the tag ‘status of tax refunds’ in the said website. The taxpayer has to enter his PAN number and assessment year for which refund is to be tracked. The assessment year is plus one year of the financial year. The status of refund can also be traced by contacting help desk of SBI – toll free number 18004259760 or email at email@example.com.
- If there is any change in correspondence address or bank account details, then the tax payer has to contact his assessing officer and inform about all these so that necessary action is taken by him for changing the details and arrange refund to proper account and address.
- The person who has not received refund by paper by post but the site mentioning that refund cheque sent should contact the local post office with the speed post reference number displayed at the NSDL/income tax web site.
- If the status shown as paid under ECS but no refund is credited in the account, then tax payer should contact his banker or SBI at the following address mentioning details:
Cash Management Product (CMP)
State Bank of India
31, Mahal Industrial Estate
Off Mahakali Caves Road
Mumbai – 400 093
6. If any mistakes on the refund delivered to assessee, the following should be done.
- Send the original refund cheque to CMP, State Bank of India at SBIFAST 31, Mahal Industrial Estate, Off Mahakali Caves Road, Andheri East, Mumbai – 400 093, Phone Number: 18004259760, along with a letter informing the mistakes on the refund cheque.
- Send a copy of the letter along with a copy of the refund cheque to your Assessing Officer.
- Retain a copy of the letter and refund cheque with you.
7. Refund paid status is also shown in ‘Tax Credit statemetnts ‘ in form no. 23AS.
C. R. Venkata Ramani