For the attention of subscribers, TRAI has given some guidelines for easy transfer of mobile service provider.
The details are:
- The facility of mobile number portability will be available throughout India from 20.1.2011.
- The porting charge is Rs.19 only.
- Porting time will be 7 working days (15 days for Jammu & Kashmir and North East Region).
The steps are:
- We have to contact the new mobile service provider to whom we want to port our mobile number.
- We have to obtain Customer Acquisition Form (CAF) & Porting form.
- If eligible, we have to obtain ‘Unique porting code’ by sending an SMS from the mobile number we want to port to the number ‘1900’ with text ‘PORT’ followed by a space followed by 10 digit mobile number we want to port.We will be getting Unique porting code.
- Then we have to fill up CAF and Porting form along with requisite documents and submit them to the new mobile ervice provider.Paid copy of the last bill issued is a must for post paid subscriber.
- For prepaid subscriber, it is better to exhaust all credits in the account and apply for transfer as there will not be transfer of credit balances to new service provider.
- We have to obtain new SIM card from the new service provider. We can also wihdraw our porting request within 24 hours of applying.
- Our new service provider will intimate us the date and time of porting on our mobile phone.
- We can replace the old SIM with new SIM ater the specified date mentioned as per slno.7.
- Our running account balances will be transferred to new service provider and there will be some adjustment between the old and new service provider for the bills not raised.
- In all these procedure, our mobile will be off for only one hour just to change the portals of service providers.
- We can opt for GSM or CDMA within the state and vice versa.
BSNL is offering free without any fees of Rs.19 for transfer.
C.R. Venkata Ramani