Nowadays, almost all mobile phone users are disturbed by unsolicited telemarketing calls either orally or written. Though there is provision of ‘Do not call Registry” , it is not properly working. Even the central ministers were not excluded from this nuisance. Since lot of complaints poured in to TRAI, it decided to discipline the telecom companies and telemarketing companies. So it formulated certain rules and released it today for the benefit of mobile phone users. These rules and regulations is called as “The Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations, 2010”. This will be in operation from 1.1.2011.
The salient points given in TRAI notifications are:
- This Regulation covers both Commercial calls as well as SMSs.
- There are 2 categories of registry under “Do not Call Registry”: a)Fully blocked. b) Partially blocked.
- For this, customer has to approach their customer relations Officers of telecom companies like Air-tel, reliance, BSNL etc.(service providers) and book their name under specific category of registry.
- The customer can also register directly with service providers by ringing up 1909 or sending SMS to 1909. This service is toll free and the customer will be given a Registration number. The customer registration will be effective within 7 days of registration unlike in the past which is used to be 45 days. The customer who are currently registered under “DNC”(Do not call) register will continue to be registered under the fully blocked category and need no re-registration.
- In Partially blocked category, he can receive SMSs/calls in the category/categories chosen by him.
- When any customer is registered in “Do not Call Registry”, he will not receive any commercial tele-marketing calls. The said telecom companies have to take responsibility of blocking any tele calls.
- There are seven categories under “Partially blocked category” in which customer can choose certain categories. They are 1.Banking/insurance/Financial products/credit cards. 2.Real estate 3.Education. 4. Health. 5. Consumer goods/automobiles 6.Communication/Broadcasting/Entertainment/IT 7.Tourism and Leisure.
- When any customer is under “Partially blocked “category, it is just like “Do call Registry”.
- TRAI has directed that no commercial communications whether it is SMSs or calls should be sent between 9 pm to 9 am for all categories so as not to disturb the customers at night and busy morning schedules.
- The aggrieved customer under “Do not call registry” has to lodge complaint with his service provider who is required to take appropriate action in this matter and inform the customer of the action taken within seven days.
C. R. Venkata Ramani