In this article, we take a look at Post-Optimization phase in a detailed manner.
The Post-Optimization phase evaluates the optimizations done in terms of improvements and benchmarks. It is also the phase where in the lessons learnt from the current optimization process can be built into the know how for subsequent projects.
Post Optimization Activities
i) Benchmarking: Benchmarking provides a snapshot of the system performance and allows comparisons with others / standards. This is also a method of evaluation of the success of the performance optimizations being done in the project.
Benchmarking is usually done on the following aspects:
- Industry Standards: This helps evaluate how the product performs in comparison with the Industry Standards after optimization.
- Competition: This helps evaluate how the product performs in comparison with the competition.
- Hardware: This activity helps evaluate the performance of the product on different hardware. Using this information the optimal hardware recommendations for the product can be arrived at.
- Software: This activity evaluates the performance of the product with different software such as Operating Systems, Databases etc. Based on this the performance expectations on different software platforms can be established.
- Versions: Benchmarking can also be used between different versions of the product to showcase the improvements that have gone in with each version. Refer to the below graph as an example.
ii) Knowledge Sharing: At the end of any Optimization process it is important to consolidate the learning and ensure that these are made part of the next iteration of development. It is also pertinent to share the experiences to other teams doing similar development. Knowledge sharing is important especially if there are some neat tricks or logic that has been implemented to achieve the same.
For consolidating the findings one way of doing it could be to enhance the best practices with the learning from the current cycle. Another option is to enhance the code review checklist to involve more points from the current cycle for optimization.
Morals of the Story
1) Benchmarking gives a perspective on the success of the optimization process vis-à-vis the industry standards and previous versions.
2) Benchmarking in terms of hardware and software gives a perspective on what is the best fit combination for the software.